Does your blog post have an image? I really hope it does. And it better have an alt tag too! Images in content marketing are not just optional. They are required.
- 37% of marketers said visual marketing was the most important form of content for their business, second only to blogging (38%). (Source)
- 74% of social media marketers use visual assets in their social media marketing, ahead of blogs (68%) and videos (60%). (Source)
- When people hear information, they’re likely to remember only 10% of that information three days later. However, if a relevant image is paired with that same information, people retained 65% of the information three days later. (Source)
- B2C marketers place greater importance on visual content than B2B marketers. (Source)
- 51% of B2B marketers prioritized creating visual content assets in 2016. (Source)
- Eye-tracking studies show internet readers pay close attention to information-carrying images. In fact, when the images are relevant, readers spend more time looking at the images than they do reading text on the page. (Source)
- Infographics are “liked” and shared on social media 3X more than other any other type of content. (Source)
- Infographics were the B2B content marketing tactic with the biggest increase in use, from 2015 to 2016, up from 50% to 58%. (Source)
- People following directions with text and illustrations do 323% better than people following directions without illustrations. (Source)
- In an analysis of over 1 million articles, BuzzSumo found that articles with an image once every 75-100 words received double the social media shares as articles with fewer images. (Source)
And it’s not just your blog posts! Social media is controlled by images! In fact some platforms are just for sharing images!
- Facebook posts with images see 2.3X more engagement than those without images. (Source)
- Tweets with images receive 150% more retweets than tweets without images. (Source)
- There were more than 500 million Instagram users in June 2016. (Source)
- 55% of marketers chose Facebook as their most important social media platform. (Source)
- Organic Facebook engagement is highest on posts with videos (13.9%) and photos (13.7%). (Source)
- Snapchat had 150 million daily active users in June 2016 — up from 110 million in December 2016. (Source)
- 44% of online women use Pinterest, compared to 16% of online men. (Source)
Where do you get your images?
Now there are lots of places online to get images from. There are paid ways, free ways, and ways that can get your website shut down completely or worse require you to actually pay fines. But the best place for you get photos is to take them. If that sounds scary to you, there are a couple of options for you!