If you run a small business, you know most of these to be true. If you run an online small business, you know the pain is real. Here are 21 stats about small businesses that may open your eyes a bit.
- 66% of small businessesare maintaining or increasing spend on digital marketing. (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
- 72% of consumerstrust online reviews as much as personal recommendations from real people. (Search Engine Land, 2012)
- 82% of small business ownershave said their main source of new business is referrals. (Constant Contact, 2013)
- 61% of global Internet users research products online. (Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012)
- 44% of online shoppersbegin by using a search engine. (Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012)
- 69% of consumersare more likely to use a local business if it has information available on a social media site. (comScore Networks and TMP Directional Marketing, 2011)
- 60% of local business websitesdon’t have their phone number on their site. (BIA Kelsey, 2012)
- 49% of sitesfail to comply with basic usability principles, and 50% of online sales are lost because visitors can’t find content. (Forrester 2012)
- 3 percent of SMB websitesare not mobile compatible and will not render successfully on mobile devices or smartphones. (BIA Kelsey, 2012)
- 15% of SMBswill build mobile optimized websites in 2013. (Borrell 2013)
- 50% of local searchesdo not occur on search engines, but on directories and apps. (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
- 67% of businessesare using their website to market to customers. (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
- 88% of consumerswho search for a type of local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. (Google Mobile Movement Study, 2011)
- People who receive $10 couponshave 38 percent higher Oxytocin levels, 32 percent calmer breathing rates, 5 percent slower heart rates, and 20x less sweaty palms. (“Your Brain on Coupons: Neurophysiology of Couponing” by Dr. Paul Zak)
- 47% of peoplesay they open an email because of the subject line. (Chadwick Martin Bailey, 2012)
- 84% of respondentsuse desktops or laptops to access email; however, two-thirds of those under 30 use their smartphones or cell phones to access their email. (Chadwick Martin Bailey, 2012)
- 41% of small businessesare using email to market to customers, a nearly 25% jump from last year. (AT&T Small Business Technology Poll 2013)
- 78% of Internet users conduct product research online.
- In the past year, Web-based email usage dropped a staggering 59% among 12-17 year olds
- 78% of business people use their mobile device to check email.
- 40% of US smartphone owners compare prices on their mobile device while in-store, shopping for an item.
Are you a small business owner? Are you looking to start a small business online? Not sure where to start? Sign up for my Create Your Business Online Masterclass and get your online business started for just $7 today!
Hi, I’m Stefania – Aka the Techy Girl! I’ve been building WordPress websites since they revolutionized how we create beautiful, functional, affordable websites. I started building websites back in the day when we had to hand write the code!!!! WordPress is much easier. Web design started as a hobby of mine and in 2010 I turned it into my passion and full-time business. When I work on a website, it’s because I love working on websites. I teach people how to use their websites and make them beautiful and functional through my courses and online sessions. If you need help or have questions, I would love to chat!
I help people create websites that work for them! I work with entrepreneurs, coaches, and bloggers who are frustrated by technology by teaching the tech and making it easy. I believe creating a website should be easy, affordable and hassle-free. I believe your website should work for you. Every website has a purpose. I want to help you find and develop that purpose. Your website should be beautiful. It should be a reflection of your most beautiful self. Learn more about me here