There’s all kinds of helpful information on the Internet about how to build your website, so we thought now would be a good time to give you just a little more. Read on to discover the best kept secrets about your website.
* Surfers are generally in a hurry. You have between 3 and 7 seconds to engage and capture your visitor before they hit the back button and go elsewhere, so optimize your load time on your pages, avoid those large annoying graphics, compress whenever possible, and use flashy technology like streaming video/audio minimally.
* Begin with the simple things. Become proficient with those and then think about how you can improve on that. Don’t worry if your first attempt at web building isn’t overly impressive.
* If you sell products/services that your visitor is going to find using the search engines, you need to make sure that the first thing they see when you arrive on your site is those items.
* If you sell products or services, you will need a secure shopping cart so that you can accept credit card payments.
* Look for popular sites and use them as a model. They don’t have to be related to what you do. What you are looking to do is incorporate into your website what those bigger more powerful sites and learn from them. We aren’t saying that you should be a copycat, but we are saying you should learn from the “best.”
* If you opt to hire a professional to do the build on your site because it’s complicated, you need to keep in mind that these programmers are in most cases not graphic designers, so consider having a graphic designer on your team too, as well as a copywriter for content.
* You must never violate the trust of those visitors that come to your site. Respect their privacy, don’t sell their email addresses, don’t spam them, don’t use annoying pop ups, and don’t bombard them with ads. Give them a clear, concise message about what your privacy statement is. That’s how you build credibility. Provide contact information that is legitimate, and list your location.
* If you use content that comes from another website (picture, video, content) make sure you have their permission and that they are given the appropriate credit. If you do not, you could find yourself sued.
There you have it – some of the best-kept secrets about running a successful website.[mailerlite_form form_id=2]
Hi, I’m Stefania – Aka the Techy Girl! I’ve been building WordPress websites since they revolutionized how we create beautiful, functional, affordable websites. I started building websites back in the day when we had to hand write the code!!!! WordPress is much easier. Web design started as a hobby of mine and in 2010 I turned it into my passion and full-time business. When I work on a website, it’s because I love working on websites. I teach people how to use their websites and make them beautiful and functional through my courses and online sessions. If you need help or have questions, I would love to chat!
I help people create websites that work for them! I work with entrepreneurs, coaches, and bloggers who are frustrated by technology by teaching the tech and making it easy. I believe creating a website should be easy, affordable and hassle-free. I believe your website should work for you. Every website has a purpose. I want to help you find and develop that purpose. Your website should be beautiful. It should be a reflection of your most beautiful self. Learn more about me here