So you’ve decided to join the wonderful world of digital marketing! You know you need a website, a Facebook page, some email marketing. That’s all great! But what are you supposed to do with all that? How do you even begin to think about creating it? Hire someone? Sure! But that can get expensive and they keep throwing around fancy terms like widgets and plugins (oh my!).
Stop. Breathe. It’s not difficult to learn. Yes there is some terminology (we’ll get to that soon), but if you break it down step by step it can be very simple. Right now, I just want to introduce you to digital marketing. You may have some background of what it can do for you, but just in case here is a little overview for you:
- Digital marketing or internet marketing is just that. Marketing on the internet. It can be a general term for so many things like email marketing, social media marketing, SEO, website building, ecommerce, affiliate marketing, pay per click ads, and more.
- Yes you do need a website and no they are not impossible to create. Thanks to the wonders of WordPress and Wix and Weebly, anyone can have a website. It’s a simple as buying a domain and hosting, setting up one of these services, creating content with images, and putting it all in the right spots.
- Yes, you do need to be on social media. There is a reason they call them online SOCIAL NETWORKS. They are places on the internet for you to be SOCIAL and NETWORK. Take just 10 minutes a day to check your messages online and respond to people. There is no getting around that one. But you need to do it. (And remember to be nice :))
- SEO is simply a matter of making google and people find your site. It’s not a perfect science. There is no two-step process and you are number 1 in google. It will not happen in a week. There are no short cuts. It takes time and effort.
- I didn’t coin this phrase but I like. Content is king. Why? You need to be constantly producing content. Sites that produce more content (blog posts, videos, social media posts, and podcasts) are more popular and do better. Also, the content cannot be “I like cows”. It needs to be interesting. “Top 5 reasons why cows rock!”
- Know what you want. The how is easy. The “what” can take time. Do you want to customers to buy t-shirts on your website? Do you want them to sign up for a monthly membership program? Do you want them to post videos of themselves singing Jingle Bells? It can be whatever you want. But first you have to know what it is you want.
- Know why you want it. Don’t build a website and get online just because I say so. (Although that is a good reason!) What are you hoping to get out of our online marketing efforts? More sales? Better branding? Millions of users in your database? (Don’t knock, that’s how Facebook made their billions). There must be a method to your madness.
- It’s all going to change. Google and Facebook like to keep things fun for you so they change their algorithms constantly (Yes I will explain that too!). What I did a year ago, I am not doing anymore. There may even be things in this book that will be irrelevant in 5 years’ time. (I promise to keep you up to date if that happens).
Today, your business needs not only a physical presence, but an online presence as well. With social media, you can reach millions of potential customers. Social media requires daily attention and it’s not as easy as it looks. While you may think that Facebook is the place to be, you may want to think a little outside the box.
So, now that I have scared you and you’re probably thinking, I don’t have time for this!!!!! You can relax. That’s why you have this blog. To show you how to do all of this and not spend a fortune of money or time doing it. I will show you how to get yourself set up and going and maintaining your efforts with an hour or so per day of work.
Why? Because I’ve been there. I started my website and my digital marketing consultant business. I got tons of clients and lost tons more and learned the ups and downs. I was living the high life in New York working for years before a little vacation to my family in Southern Italy changed everything. If you are just starting out in business, I say congrats! You are in for a great ride! If you have a small business and need help, you’ve come to the right place! If you are just here for fun, then enjoy and I hope you learn something valuable.