You may think freelancers are like consultants. People who say they work as a freelancer or consultant are really just unemployed. Yes, I’ve actually had someone tell me that when I told them I was a digital marketing consultant. However, there is a lot more to freelancing and being a consultant then you might think.
- There are 53 million people doing freelance work in the US – 34% of the national workforce
- People who freelance contribute an estimated $715 billion in freelance earnings to our economy
- Twice as many freelancers have seen an increase in demand in the past year as having seen a decrease – 32% experienced an increase versus 15% who have seen a decrease
- 80% of non-freelancers say they would be willing to do work outside their primary job to make more money
- Earning extra money (but not financial necessity) and schedule flexibility are the top drivers of freelancing
- Finding work and, correspondingly, income stability are the top barriers to doing more freelancing work
- 69% of freelancers said technology has made it easier to find freelance work
- 77% of freelancers say the best days are yet ahead for freelancing
- 65% said freelancing as a career path is more respected today than it was three years ago
- 36% of moonlighters who have a primary job have thought about quitting to work completely independently
- There are 1.4 million British freelancers working across all sectors
- This has grown 14% in the past decade
- The flexibility offered by Britain’s freelancers is worth £21 billion to the UK economy in added value2
- 78% of the UK public think that freelancing and flexible working help promote a good work/life balance
- 72% think freelancing has a positive effect on family life
- Freelancing is now seen as a highly attractive and lucrative career option by 87% of students with first or second class degrees
- This compares to 77% of those with lower class degrees.
- 21% of graduates with first class honors say they have already chosen to work as a freelancer, suggesting that the freelance economy’ is beginning to take hold among those graduates with the strongest degree results
- 29% of all graduates say freelancing is part of their career strategy for the next five years, a fact that suggests the freelance economy will continue to gather pace in the UK
- The flexibility offered by freelancing is cited as the biggest career draw, with over two-thirds (69%) of all graduates saying they feel independent work offers them a better work-life balance.
- The opportunity to work on a variety of different projects and across sectors is also appealing, with over a third (38%) saying this is a significant pull
- Respondents are also attracted to the earning potential of freelance work with 38% saying they feel they can earn as much, if not more than they could in a traditional job
- Elance data shows that the average hourly rate for UK freelancers increased 6.7% in 2013
Are you a freelancer looking for more clients? Check out Hubstaff Talent! I’m loving it to find new clients!!!!
Hi, I’m Stefania – Aka the Techy Girl! I’ve been building WordPress websites since they revolutionized how we create beautiful, functional, affordable websites. I started building websites back in the day when we had to hand write the code!!!! WordPress is much easier. Web design started as a hobby of mine and in 2010 I turned it into my passion and full-time business. When I work on a website, it’s because I love working on websites. I teach people how to use their websites and make them beautiful and functional through my courses and online sessions. If you need help or have questions, I would love to chat!
I help people create websites that work for them! I work with entrepreneurs, coaches, and bloggers who are frustrated by technology by teaching the tech and making it easy. I believe creating a website should be easy, affordable and hassle-free. I believe your website should work for you. Every website has a purpose. I want to help you find and develop that purpose. Your website should be beautiful. It should be a reflection of your most beautiful self. Learn more about me here